- This event has passed.
Presenter(s): Miriam Komaromy, MD, FACP, FASAM
Miriam Komaromy, MD, FACP, FASAM | Associate Director, Associate Professor of Medicine
ECHO Institute™, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center
Sponsor: American Psychiatric Association
Many primary care patients have behavioral health (BH) and substance use disorders (SUDs), yet Primary Care Physicians are inadequately trained in caring for these conditions. Project ECHO aims to develop capacity to effectively treat common, complex diseases in rural and underserved areas. The ECHO model uses videoconferencing to simultaneously connect multiple PCPs with a team of academic specialists, and builds PCPs’ capacity via mentorship and case-based learning.
The Integrated Addictions and Psychiatry (IAP) TeleECHO Clinic was established in New Mexico in 2005 to expand access to evidenced-based treatment for BH and SUDs. This presentation described the ECHO experience with SUDs and the recent replication of teleECHO programs for SUDs in several states and countries. The steps involved in launching an ECHO program to expand access to SUD treatment were described.
- Describe the ECHO model and its applications for increasing access to care and supporting primary care providers
- Explain how the ECHO model is being applied to expanding access to SUD treatment
- Identify what is involved in starting a local ECHO program to expand access to SUD treatment
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to access the session recording and claim credit through the APA Learning Center:
- Go to http://apapsy.ch/ECHO-model-archived
- Login to your existing APA account or create a new account if you don’t already have one
- Click “Access Activity”
- Select your certificate type and confirm your choice via the pop-up window (Note: You may need to disable pop-up blockers)
- Review the Activity Overview and CE Information sections
- Click “Purchase”. This course is free, but you must still complete the checkout process.
- From your order confirmation page, select “Access Course”
- Complete the View Content, Quiz, and Evaluation sections
- Select and Save the number of credits on the Certificate section and review your certificate.