- This event has passed.
Presenter(s): Smita Das, MD, PhD, MPH
Tobacco remains the leading preventable cause of death in the United States, and disproportionately affects people with mental illness. E-cigarette use is increasing in the United States and people with mental illness are reporting use that is greater than the general population.
Psychiatrists are being faced with questions about use and risks regularly or are often unsure what to recommend to patients. This webinar will summarize tobacco use among those with mental illness, discuss e-cigarettes, and summarize the most recent recommendations on risks and safety. We will also discuss tobacco cessation as well as offer concrete resources and recommendations to viewers.
- Cite the epidemiology regarding smokers with mental illness
- Describe e-cigarette use patterns in those with mental illness and in general
- Summarize the evidence based methods of treating tobacco use disorders including 7 FDA approved medications and common psychosocial approaches including the 5 As
- Identify where to access resources on smoking cessation education for use later
- Review the most up to date data on recommendations on e-cigarettes use
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to access the session recording and claim credit through the APA Learning Center:
- Go to: http://apapsy.ch/ecigarettes-ondemand
- Login to your existing APA account or create a new account if you don’t already have one
- Click “Access Activity”
- Select your certificate type and confirm your choice via the pop-up window (Note: You may need to disable pop-up blockers)
- Review the Activity Overview and CE Information sections
- Click “Purchase”. This course is free, but you must still complete the checkout process.
- From your order confirmation page, select “Access Course”
- Complete the View Content, Quiz, and Evaluation sections
- Select and Save the number of credits on the Certificate section and review your certificate.