- This event has passed.
Presenter(s): June E. Oliver, MSN, APRN/CNS, RN-BC, CCNS, AP-PMN, Advanced Practice Nurse, Swedish Covenant Hospital
Target Audience: This offering is intended for all RNs involved with pain management whether as a bedside staff nurse or as an advance practice provider.
Webinar description: With the rise in public and professional concern over opioid overdose deaths, a growing emphasis is being placed on using non-opioid analgesics. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, while not new, are garnering new interest as an opioid alternative. Along with demonstrated analgesic efficacy for nociceptive pain, these medications carry significant risks of morbidity and mortality from multiple mechanisms, ranging from hypertension, ulcerations, bleeding, kidney injury and cardiovascular acute events. In using this class of medication, the pain practitioner needs to have a strong understanding of the pharmacology of the variety of NSAIDs, impact of dosing and length of treatment, indications and contraindications and monitoring for toxicities. Weighing the risk and benefits in choosing an NSAID, including newer combination medications with gastrointestinal protective agents, will be explored- and contrasted with an overview of opioid risk and benefits.
- Describe the mechanism of action and pharmacologics characteristics of NSAIDs.
- List various organ and physiological potential toxicities of NSAIDs, including risk mitigation and monitoring.
- Compare safety profile of NSAIDs and Opioids as consideration when selecting analgesics.
How to obtain your Certificate of Completion:
Thank you for viewing our archived webinar. In order to document your participation in the training, please follow the steps below to obtain your Certificate of Completion.
- View the recorded webinar and return to the web page that listed the webinar recording link. By viewing the full presentation it will unlock and allow you to proceed to the evaluation.
- Click “Evaluation” and answer the questions to the best of your ability. Upon completion, you will receive a verification code on the last page of the survey.
- Copy the verification code located on the last page of the survey and paste it into its designated component on the original web page to claim your certificate.
- If you have any questions or you do not receive your certificate, please email or call (855) 227-2776.
Note: This archive webinar is not designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.