- This event has passed.
Presenter(s): David A. Thomas, PhD, Health Science Administrator/ NIH Pain Consortium Representative Services Research Branch Division of Epidemiology, Services and Prevention Research National Institute on Drug Abuse
About the webinar: In the United States the use of opioids in the treatment of chronic pain has increased dramatically in the past two decades. Over this same period, we saw the development of a prescription drug abuse epidemic of historic proportions. And during this period, the incidence of pain has doubled, with 100 million Americans suffering from chronic pain in 2011 according to the Institute of Medicine (IOM). Clearly, we need to do a better job of treating pain, with and without opioids.
This presentation will outline efforts of the NIH Pain Consortium to improve pain treatment and reduce prescription opioid abuse. These efforts include partnering with the CDC in its creation of national opioid prescribing guidelines, development of a National Pain Strategy, leading a comprehensive review on opioids for the treatment of chronic pain through the NIH Pathways to Prevention program, and improving clinical pain education through its Centers of Excellence in Pain Education.
- Describe the CDC Opioid Prescribing Guidelines
- Demonstrate recognition that providing adequate pain treatment is a clinical and moral responsibility
- Describe responsible opioid prescribing
- Discuss alternatives to opioids for the treatment of pain
Accreditation: The American Psychiatric Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: The American Psychiatric Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion:
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to obtain your certificate:
- Click the “Watch Now” button above or go to: http://apapsy.ch/NIH-pain-consortium-archived
- Login to your existing APA account or create a new account if you don’t already have one
- Click “Access Activity”
- Select your certificate type and confirm your choice via the pop-up window (Note: You may need to disable pop-up blockers)
- Review the Activity Overview and CE Information sections
- Click “Purchase.” This course is free, but you must still complete the checkout process.
- From your order confirmation page, select “Access Course”
- Complete the View Content, Quiz, and Evaluation sections
- Select and Save the number of credits on the Certificate section and review your certificate.
For questions regarding this activity, please contact APA staff: firstname.lastname@example.org