- This event has passed.
Presenter(s): Daniel Alford, MD, MPH and Jessica Gray, MD
About the webinar: The intersection of active illicit opioid use, acute pain and severe mental illness can be particularly challenging for generalist clinicians on the inpatient service. This case discussion reviews several options for managing pain in patients with active opioid use disorder on the inpatient medical service.
The case provides discussion of the issues that the healthcare team faces when treating patients with depression and chronic suicidality and provides expert opinion on managing these psychiatric comorbidities in a patient with comorbid substance use disorder.
Finally, it highlights some of the practical challenges and approaches that arise in treating patients with comorbid mental illness, opioid use disorder and pain on the medical inpatient service.
- Summarize treatment options for managing acute pain in patient with active opioid use disorder on the inpatient service
- Explain how to manage chronic suicidality in a patient with opioid use disorder and pain
- Identify factors involved in safe discharge planning for patients with comorbid opioid use disorders, suicidality and pain
Accreditation: The American Psychiatric Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: The American Psychiatric Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion:
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to obtain your certificate:
- Click the “Watch Now” button above or go to: http://apapsy.ch/active-injection-ondemand
- Login to your existing APA account or create a new account if you don’t already have one
- Click “Access Activity”
- Select your certificate type and confirm your choice via the pop-up window (Note: You may need to disable pop-up blockers)
- Review the Activity Overview and CE Information sections
- Click “Purchase.” This course is free, but you must still complete the checkout process.
- From your order confirmation page, select “Access Course”
- Complete the View Content, Quiz, and Evaluation sections
- Select and Save the number of credits on the Certificate section and review your certificate.
For questions regarding this activity, please contact APA staff: firstname.lastname@example.org