- This event has passed.
Presenter(s): Thomas Penders, MD, Walter B Jones Ctr; East Carolina University; Cornel Stanciu, MD, MRO, Director of Addiction Services at New Hampshire Hospital and Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at Dartmouth’s Geisel School of Medicine
Target audience: This activity was developed to meet the needs of primary care physicians and specialty care physicians.
Cost: No fee.
Webinar description: The leaves of Kratom, a small tree indigenous to Southeast Asia, have been used for centuries medicinally and as a stimulant. The active ingredients including the molecule Mitragynine, have some unique properties that have led to its use in many developed counties including the United States. Reports of several deaths have led the DEA to designate Kratom as a substance of concern. The pharmacological properties that make it unique include agonism at the opioid receptors providing incentive for individuals with opioid misuse to self-manage withdrawal symptoms when more powerful opioids are unavailable. This webinar will review the history, epidemiology, and pharmacology of Kratom. Guidelines for management of patients presenting with use of Kratom or withdrawal will be provided.
Note: A follow-up Q and A webinar was held on Tuesday, February 19 at 12 – 1 pm ET to address questions that remained from the original presentation as well as addressing new questions. If you are interested in listening to the training, go here.
- Recognize the salient aspects of Kratom’s background, psychoactive effects, and its pharmacological action
- Review the state of knowledge about the impact of Kratom on mental health and its potentially dangerous adverse effects
- Identify and manage Kratom withdrawal as well as provide maintenance treatment
How to obtain your Certificate of Completion:
Thank you for viewing our archived webinar. In order to document your participation in the training, please follow the steps below to obtain your Certificate of Completion.
- View the recorded webinar and return to the web page that listed the webinar recording link. By viewing the full presentation it will unlock and allow you to proceed to the evaluation.
- Click “Evaluation” and answer the questions to the best of your ability. Upon completion, you will receive a verification code on the last page of the survey.
- Copy the verification code located on the last page of the survey and paste it into its designated component on the original web page to claim your certificate.
- If you have any questions or you do not receive your certificate, please email or call (855) 227-2776.
Note: This archive webinar is not designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.