Erin Zerbo, MD | Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Sponsoring organization: American Psychiatric Association (APA)
Clinical Vignette Description:
Many addicted patients have co-occurring pain, and they often have a difficult time finding pain management providers that will treat them. It is crucial that psychiatrists and other physicians develop an understanding of co-occurring pain, so that these patients can be treated in other types of clinics or in conjunction with standard pain management clinics.
- Explain the next best steps to take when a patient with co-occurring depression has a relapse in her/his opioid use disorder
- Understand the appropriate dosing of opioid maintenance medications in the patient with co-occurring pain
- Explore the role that buprenorphine/naloxone can have in the management of chronic pain
Accreditation and Designation: The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion:
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to obtain your certificate
- Go to http://bit.ly/Slips-and-SlipUps-Vignette
- LOG IN with Existing Account or CREATE a New Account
- Enable pop-ups
- Select your statement of credit type, click Submit, acknowledge your selection on the pop-up by clicking “OK”
- Review the Activity Overview, click Next
- Review the CE Information, click Next
- Click Purchase (This is a free product. You will be re-directed into the shopping cart in the same browser/tab window, and will need to follow the prompts provided to complete your transaction.)
- After you reach the order confirmation page; return and refresh the page at http://bit.ly/Slips-and-SlipUps-Vignette
- Click View Content, read the instructions provided, then click on each hyperlink to view the material, click Next to continue
- Complete the APA Evaluation, click Submit and then Next
- Click the button to print your Certificate
For questions regarding this activity, please contact APA staff: firstname.lastname@example.org