Direct providership by American Osteopathic Academy of Addiction Medicine (AOAAM)
Julie Kmiec, DO | Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Addiction Psychiatry,
Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic, Pittsburgh, PA
Online Module Description
This module discusses the opioid epidemic in the United States and the subsequent opioid overdose epidemic. There are several static and dynamic risk factors for overdose which will be discussed for overdose prevention. The use of naloxone for overdose reversal by bystanders will be discussed, as well as how to prescribe naloxone to those at risk of experiencing or witnessing an accidental overdose.
View the 8/29/16 follow-up webinar recording and presentation slides here.
At the conclusion of this activity participants should be able to:
- Discuss how the opioid prescribing epidemic is associated with the overdose epidemic
- Discuss opioid overdose risk factors
- Describe the basic pharmacology of naloxone
- Describe studies demonstrating the efficacy of naloxone in bystander overdose
- Name the four different forms of naloxone available for bystander reversal of overdose and discuss to prescribe it
Accreditation and Designation
The AOAAM is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Osteopathic Academy of Addiction Medicine (AOAAM) designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1 (one) Category 2B Credit by the AOA CCME and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
How to Receive CME Credits
Upon completion of the Post Test:
- If you pass the Post Test with a grade of 70% or higher, you will be instructed to click a link which will bring you to the Online Module Evaluation Survey. Upon completion of the Online Module Evaluation Survey, you will receive a CME Credit Certificate or Certificate of Completion via email.
- If you received a grade of 69% or lower on the Post Test, you will be instructed to review the Online Module once more and retake the Post Test. You will then be instructed to click a link which will bring you to the Online Module Evaluation Survey. Upon completion of the Online Module Evaluation Survey, you will receive a CME Credit Certificate or Certificate of Completion via email.
- After successfully passing, you will receive an email detailing correct answers, explanations and references for each question of the Post Test.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: PC-based attendees Required: Windows® 8, 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server Mac®-based attendees Required: Mac OS® X 10