By Esteban Toledo Carrion, M.D.
Addiction Psychiatry Fellow, Boston University School of Medicine
Sponsoring organization: American Psychiatric Association (APA)
Clinical Vignette Description:
- Substance use disorders have a high co-morbid rate of mental illness.
- Chronic pain requires a holistic assessment and treatment approach.
- Pharmacological treatment of substance use disorders can potentially address pain as well.
- Mindfulness can contribute to the reduction of pain and overall improved mental health.
- Identify patients at risk or with an active substance use disorder
- Rcognize other co-morbidities that may be contributing to substance use
- Discuss the neuro-psychology of pain
- Identify non-pharmacological interventions for pain
The American Psychiatric Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Psychiatric Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion:
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to obtain your certificate:
- Go to Pain and Addiction: A Clinical Path To Mindfulness
- LOG IN with Existing Account or CREATE a New Account
- Enable pop-ups
- Select your statement of credit type, click Submit, acknowledge your selection on the pop-up by clicking “OK”
- Review the Activity Overview, click Next
- Review the CE Information, click Next
- Click Purchase (This is a free product. You will be re-directed into the shopping cart in the same browser/tab window, and will need to follow the prompts provided to complete your transaction.)
- After you reach the order confirmation page; return and refresh the page at Pain and Addiction: A Clinical Path To Mindfulness
- Click View Content, read the instructions provided, then click on each hyperlink to view the material, click Next to continue
- Complete the APA Evaluation, click Submit and then Next
- Click the button to print your Certificate
For questions regarding this activity, please contact APA staff: email@example.com