Sponsored by American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
Brian Fuehrlein, MD, PhD | Director, Psychiatric Emergency Room, VA, Connecticut and Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Yale University
Module Description: Provides an overview of the history of opioid use with an overview of contributing factors to the current epidemic. Using clinical cases, opioid use disorder is then discussed in detail. Finally, there is a discussion of harm reduction approaches and treatment options.
- Identify the factors contributing to the opioid epidemic
- Identify risk factors and red flags for the development of opioid use disorder
- Describe how heroin use develops from prescription opioid addiction
- Describe the severity and nature of opioid use disorder and the related high risk behaviors
- Define what treatment is and essential components needed to be evidence based
- Recognize how medication can be a very important part of long-term treatment for opioid use disorders
Note: This online module is NOT designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.